• Welcome to our site
  • Forums are listed below.
Hello There, Guest! Login Register

Classic TV
Is this a good place on the forum to talk about Classic TV shows? Lately I've been watching Barney Miller and I really enjoy it a lot. I get to see two episodes every weeknight and I'm considering getting the box set when I have extra money to spend. It's a fun show about police detectives and the crazy people they have to deal with. We can also discuss British comedies as well as I get to see a sampling of those on the weekends on my KET station in the US.

To answer your question, yes, this is definitely the place. Funny, the name Desi Arnaz cropped up in some research, which brings us to the great Lucille Ball, with I Love Lucy etc. Barney Miller ran for over 100 episodes I think, and maybe outstayed its welcome. An old favourite is The Beverly Hillbillies, but it's a comedy idea that quickly runs out of steam once the main notion has been established. And Rowan and Martin's Laugh-in was something of a ground-breaker for satire in the USA, not to mention starting a few great careers (and Tiny Tim). Plenty to discuss here guys, come on in.......

So I have this KET channel that shows British comedies on the weekends. Some of the many shows over the years have included Last of the Summer Wine, Keeping Up Appearances, As Time Goes By, Are You Being Served, Waiting For God, and The Vicar of Dibley? Summer Wine still shows now with Keeping Up and Doc Martin is the newer show which is serious but also comedic and something I enjoy to watch.

There are so many British situation comedies (sit-coms) and most are moderate at best. A few outstanding ones are Steptoe and Son (re-created on Swedish TV) Dad's Army and Open All Hours, but the greatest of them all (for me) is 'Allo 'Allo, a spoof on the most unlikely of comedy subjects, but hilarious for all its deliberate steroetypes used for comedy effect. Unmissable. Last of the Summer Wine claims the world record for the longest-running TV series, or maybe it was just one critic who managed to sit through a whole episode and stay awake. The irreverant Father Ted also has a good following but for sheer fan frenzy nothing beats On the Buses, though perhaps only those frenzied fans know why.
From the other direction, Europe is pretty much flooded with Melissa and Joey at the moment, and presumably there is some comedy merit in a language like Latvian, regrettably almost none in English. It's shown 8 tomes a day on British TV, obviously punishment for something.

(23-01-2016, 07:37 AM)judgefoozle Wrote: There are so many British situation comedies (sit-coms) and most are moderate at best. A few outstanding ones are Steptoe and Son (re-created on Swedish TV) Dad's Army and Open All Hours, but the greatest of them all (for me) is 'Allo 'Allo, a spoof on the most unlikely of comedy subjects, but hilarious for all its deliberate steroetypes used for comedy effect. Unmissable. Last of the Summer Wine claims the world record for the longest-running TV series, or maybe it was just one critic who managed to sit through a whole episode and stay awake. The irreverant Father Ted also has a good following but for sheer fan frenzy nothing beats On the Buses, though perhaps only those frenzied fans know why.
From the other direction, Europe is pretty much flooded with Melissa and Joey at the moment, and presumably there is some comedy merit in a language like Latvian, regrettably almost none in English. It's shown 8 tomes a day on British TV, obviously punishment for something.
I think Melissa and Joey ran here for a while but was pretty terrible I never watched it. Dad's Army I've heard about but never seen, they are doing a big movie adaptation of that soon to be out I think, have you heard about that?

Yes, there is a NEW movie being released. but the original one in 1971 featured the inspired casting and the brilliance of that team in their roles. It's difficult to see how something new could come close to the original, and as the whole thing is in period setting, the original version is worth trying to find instead.

(23-01-2016, 08:28 AM)judgefoozle Wrote: Yes, there is a NEW movie being released. but the original one in 1971 featured the inspired casting and the brilliance of that team in their roles. It's difficult to see how something new could come close to the original, and as the whole thing is in period setting, the original version is worth trying to find instead.

I'll have to look for it sometime. I have some Summer Wine series on DVD and the complete series of Are You Being Served. Also I'll mention being a fan of Monty Python both the show and films.

Wow, old tv shows are great.... Alfred Hitchcock, Adventures of Superman, Twilight Zone.. I can on and on.. I don't know what you have in the UK, but here in the USA we have METV, Antenna etc for oldies..

Well if it helps anyone, there are "nostalgic" TV channels all over Europe and most of the "old shows" originate in the USA. In Sweden at the moment the original "Twilight Zone" is being shown on one channel, and in the UK there are numerous channels showing old American series. At one time in the day there's a choice of Perry Mason on one channel and Ironside on another, at the same time. The original Gunsmoke with James Arness is on daily on one channel, and That 70's Show is on several times a day on one channel, often with back-to-back issues. To my delight (though I have the box-set) the unique British comedy 'Allo 'Allo is on twice every night on one channel (same episode repeated). In some countries, to beat copyright, they make their own versions of British and American series, such as the British Steptoe And Son which becomes Albert And Herbert in Sweden. This is such a rich vein of discussion it's tempting to go on and on, but time presses.

I buy dvd/blue ray sets of old shows I like... and download tons of others for free Wink I recently watch Perry Mason, which I didn't care for in the past. Then realized how good it is. Years ago I must have tuned in every time they made it to the courtroom. Now I notice it's like in 3 parts - The storyline leading to muder - Perry's detective like investigation - then 15 minutes or so of the courtroom. I'm glad I dismissed it yrs ago since I'm really enjoying it now.