• Welcome to our site
  • Forums are listed below.
Hello There, Guest! Login Register

The ups and downs of politics
In politics, you stand for a seat. If you stand successfully you are officially sitting. When you take your seat , you  stand for the people you represent, and may serve on a standing committee when it's sitting under standing orders. You can suspend standing orders in urgent cases, by standing up and demanding a change of sitting. The decision is up to the Chairman. Your voters expect you to stand up for them and sit in dozens of meetings. You take a stand on topical and local issues and refuse to sit and take decisions you don't sit comfortably with and won't stand for. You sit and think about taking a stand on matters. You refuse to be sat upon even though you may be a Chair of a meeting or committee.  If you lose your seat you have to stand down from your seat and consider whether to stand again, either for the same seat or another seat, depending on whether the voters can stand you or want to see you unseated. After all that, it's time for a lie down.

This is like all the old food for thought questions like: Do Roman paramedics call IV's 4's. Another is like why is it that we park in a driveway, but drive on a parkway Smile

The original piece is about "politics" as a discipline and we don't go into party or national politics here. We have members from New Zealand to California and all points in between. Mainstream politics in one country mean nothing to all the others.

How about "Constitutional Monarchy" Smile

(12-10-2016, 01:37 AM)[George Martin] Wrote: How about "Constitutional Monarchy" Smile

It has at least one advantage over presidency.

(12-10-2016, 01:46 AM)judgefoozle Wrote:
(12-10-2016, 01:37 AM)[George Martin] Wrote: How about "Constitutional Monarchy" Smile

It has at least one advantage over presidency.

So I've heard Wink

.. I meant it more as an oxymoron... wait, that moron part sound like presidency..

If you give a moron oxygen you're asking for trouble.

<reaction to an interesting thought> Tell me that again.